Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Quiet Time

I have always struggled to fit in a world that values outgoing and personable individuals. I've always been the one to thrive on a little of my own quiet time after a day with friends. As an adult, I find myself exhausted after a full day with students. I love them and love what I do, but it takes it's toll. I find that usually I just need some time to myself and then I'm good to go once again.

Last summer I read a book that changed the way I not only looked at myself, but it also changed the way I look at my students, especially the quiet ones. 


I began this year with my class by talking to students about multiple intelligences and learning styles, like I often do. But I also talked about introversion vs. extroversion. We watched the video below and I think many of my students were surprised to find out what an introvert is and what an introvert isn't. For my introverted students, this video empowered them and made them feel proud of who they are and how they operate. For those in the middle, they came to appreciate not only their ability to interact with others and be outgoing, but also the importance of quiet time and reflection.

As for me, I now take a different approach to teaching. I no longer try to get the quiet kids to talk in class. I give all of my students time to reflect and gather their thoughts before responding. More than ever, I use discussion boards, and other tools to give each student more thinking time. And because they know that I understand them and they understand each other, I believe my students feel more comfortable to be themselves in class. 



Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

Cain, S. (2012, March 12). Susan Cain: The power of introverts. TED Talks.
           Retrieved https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0KYU2j0TM4

Cain, S. (2013). Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking. New York, NY:
           Crown Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment